Monday, July 25, 2011

Picking up the pieces

Whether I wanted to or not, I had to move on with my life over the weekend. I had a scheduled excursion to Hallingdal, a town situated in valley at 1,000 meters above sea level. I was still quite shaken up about the experience on Friday, and I really didn't feel like traveling and having fun. Nevertheless, I showed up to the bus on Saturday morning with my broken heart in check.

Our trip took us to a wildlife park, which the owners call a sanctuary for both animals and people. Maybe they were right. There were hundreds of families with small children at this park. I expected that everyone would stay cooped up in their homes after such a tragedy, but I was wrong. As I watched small children interact with goats, elk, and reindeer, I marveled at how little tragedy affects them. Both animals and children are oblivious to the pain that the rest of the world feels. I was comforted to realize that this is not a burden that the innocent of society has to bear.

We stayed at a mountain lodge on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, we were supposed to go out for a hike, but I decided to stay at the lodge to avoid the rain. I spent some time in meditation and reflection in my free time. Between the time I spent alone and healing capabilities of the Norwegian wilderness, I got myself through the weekend without breaking down. The moment I returned to Oslo, however, all of the sadness and solemnity returned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsy!~Thanks for posting your thoughts and keeping us updated. My mom was very concerned for you. I attended the Lehr UM church on Sunday(24th). My mom asked everyone to pray for you. Grandma Ardella and Grandpa James were there. Pastor Marty was very concerned when he heard that you were their granddaughter.
    We think of you often and continue to lift you up in prayer.
    Take Care...and keep us posted.
    Love & prayers, Vickie

    ReplyDelete