Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating the 4th of July like an ex-pat


Independence Day has a different meaning for me than most people. I have spent three out of the last four years in uniform on that particular day rather than with my family. Time spent away over a holiday forces me into a period of introspection and reflection on what the it means to me considering where I am and what I am doing. This celebration is no different in that respect, but it's the first time I've been around civilian Americans in a foreign country in this context. This group of people is particularly liberal and not very patriotic. There are some exceptions like my friend from Georgia (the state, not the country) who has a whole wardrobe dedicated to the red, white, and blue. But as a whole, peace scholars are the most critical of their government and most uncomfortable with patriotism around foreigners.

I have spent enough time away from the U.S. to appreciate our culture and traditions without feeling especially guilty about our government's actions. On the 3rd, I enjoyed just spending time among Americans and friends of Americans as we all enjoyed typical American things. I had a real cheeseburger and potato salad. I listened to a cover band that sang some of my favorite Journey songs, among others. And finally, I learned a new line dance.

At first I felt a little guilty participating in American activities in a foreign country, but then I realized that I was surrounded by thousands of other people in the park who were doing the same thing. In fact, I think it's a sign of progress as a traveler to find a way to incorporate your own traditions in a foreign context. Either extreme - abandonment of tradition or failure to try new things - seems empty to me.

On the actual 4th of July, I went to class as usual. In the evening, I joined a group of students at the gym nearby to learn Norwegian folk dances. I came back to my room, and my German roommate, Eva, gave me a beer. I sat out on the steps and enjoyed my beer in a coffee cup while chatting with friends from all over the world. It was truly a multicultural holiday, and probably the most unorthodox celebration I've ever had.

*In the photo, children up to the age of 7 were about to start a watermelon eating contest. We tried to get some for ourselves, but apparently we are too old. Fresh fruit is difficult to come across. Especially free fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment