Monday, June 20, 2011

Icelandair

I just made it through yet another international flight. I have so much to say about Icelandair, but I think the most precise definition is "sketchy." Times are tough for Iceland. The volcanic eruptions in 2010 must have destroyed their airline industry. Now customers have to buy their meals on transatlantic flights. The flight was great if you were a kid. Children get a free meal, free headphones, and a coloring book. Now I see where my/Concordia's money went. I also had water dripping on me from the ceiling emergency exit. I'm not sure how that got through, but again, this airline is sketchy.

I'm about to begin a dialogue seminar that focuses on reconciliation with students from the Balkans. Last night I shared some of my knowledge of Kosovo with our group. I am beginning to realize that certain memories are fading, and I am not as certain about what I know about the place anymore. The academic environment is drastically different than the world in which I worked. It will be a challenge for me to set aside my military perspective when I sit down in conversation with these students. I have so many questions to ask them.

Our peace prize forum group seems to be pretty pleasant. There are many different personality types, so I suspect that we will be able to get along well. I am amazed by the amount of collective knowledge and experience that we are bringing on our trip. Hopefully it will be put to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment